"Mommy, I want muffles for breakfast. They are so yummy! I just want maple syrup though, and not anything else on them. Can we have muffles like that?"
Jayden loves his muffles and his maple syrup. He just can't get enough of them. he was delighted to wake up yesterday morning to find me cooking another batch before he had the time to request them!
Jayden's Muffle Recipe
(originally recipe from Light & Tasty)
1 cup all-purpose flour (or whole wheat)
1 cup oat flour (I just grind up oats in the food processor)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of pure stevia extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk (or yogurt, vanilla is great!)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or apple sauce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Pour batter by 1/2 cupfuls into a preheated waffle iron; bake according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- Note: if you use applesauce you might not get crispy waffles unless you re-toast in the toaster. If you use yogurt the batter will be thicker, so you might need to help it spread on the hot iron. I like to use our homemade vanilla yogurt in them.